Considerable excitement was created the parish church of this place on Sunday morning last, during the service. The flue which passes through the roof having become over-heated, and the wood-work around caught tire. By cutting portion of the lead roof and pouring water in, the fire was soon extinguished.
Source: Louth and North Lincolnshire Advertiser – Saturday 28 March 1863
Note: The Parish Church was St Clement’s.