Ok, so maybe this is just another Diamond Wedding story in the local newspaper, but read on…I’ve extracted some very interesting little snippets about Skegness!
The occasion is Mr and Mrs Bellamy’s Diamond Wedding in 1908 and the couple are being interviewed by a local reporter….
It appears that for the celebrated occasion Mr Bellamy was given a bicycle. A photograph of him on his bike was published in Dutton’s Ancient and Modern Skegness:
When Mr Bellamy came to Skegness, there were less than fifty houses in the place. On what is now Drummond Road the first building was ”Drummond House” the property of the Rev Drummond Rawnsley, of Halton Halgate, which was usually occupied during summer by the Rev gentleman’s clerical frinds.
The next erection was the old lifeboat house (this would have been on Lifeboat Avenue), and then came the Vine.
High Street comprised a few small cottages, and Mr Bellamy stated in connection therewith that all the land upon which the cottages were built was stolen from the lord of the manor.
Wainfleet Road was then in a very primitive state.
Referring to his long and honourable connection with the Wesleyan Methodists, Mr Bellamy recalled how the Rev Seth Dixon came over to Skegness and preached the first sermon on the beach in the presence of fishermen and a few visitors. The service proved so enjoyable that later services were held in a house on the Wainfleet Road, under the guidence of Father Baxter.
A small piece of land was bought in High Street, upon which a small chapel was built, capable of holding some 70 people.
About the time the railway opened (1873) this chapel was pulled down, and another more suitable building erected at a cost of £400.
In later years Mr Bellamy remembers the commencement and compilation of the handsome structure in Algitha Road, nearly opposite his house.
About 1870 Mr Bellamy opened a Sunday School at Skegness and he refers with pride to the fact that he had 23 scholars at the opening service.
Mr Bellamy distinctly remembers ”sea coal” as it was then termed being brought to Skegness, and vessels were beached for unloading their supplies.
Spilsby people had to procure their coal from Skegness, whilst Alford had to do likewise from Sutton.
There was a coal yard at Skegness in front of the Hildred’s Hotel.
Source: Skegness Herald 25th September 1908