The Herald offices began in the basement of the reading rooms on the corner of Lumley Road and Rutland Road (the present day National Westminster Bank building). The article gives account of the Herald moving premises. The reason for the move was given as ‘inadequate lighting’, illustrating the spartan lighting in Skegness in the 1880s.
Herald Offices Moved
The offices if this journal have been removed to more suitable premises on the Roman Bank, near the Lion Hotel, and very near the railway station. Although the premises previously occupied by the Herald Company, in Lumley Road were commodious and the situation convenient, yet being on the basement and partially underground, the light was inadequate. The present offices are convenient in every respect.
Source: Skegness Herald 1st June 1883