A short but revealing article in the Skegness Herald about the first street lamps in Skegness.
The ‘new church’ is obviously St Matthew’s, but look, the article refers to what is now Lumley Avenue merely as ‘Avenue’. Obviously at the time of going to press in February 1883, Lumley Avenue had not been so named.
A number of lamps have been erected both sides of the Avenue, the new road leading from Lumley Road to the new church.
They were lighted for the first time on Sunday evening last, and are found to be a great convenience to persons going to, and coming from, church, especially on Sunday evenings.
Other lamps are also to be erected in other parts of the town, and the number of new ones will be about thirteen.
Source: Skegness Herald 2nd February 1883