Careless Smoker Causes Pier Fire

Charles_hildred
Smoker’s carelessly discarded match causes pier fire

On Sunday forenoon last some floorboards on the pier were found to be on fire. Fortunately, the vigilance of the Pier Master, Mr Charles Hildred, discovered the fire before it had much of a hold on the dry woodwork, and extinguished it with a few buckets of water.
Had it occurred during the night the consequence may have been serious and the handsome structure damaged of destroyed.
It is hoped that smokers will be more careful in future.

Source: Skegness Herald 1898

Picture: Charles Hildred c1887.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s