Lamp Explosion

A serious lamp explosion occurred at the house of Mr George Enderby, aged 68, of Roman Bank, last Sunday night.

It appears that his daughter was turning out the lamp, which was an ordinary glass one, when it exploded with a loud report, breaking several panes of glass in the windows, and setting fire to the curtains and part of the window frame.

With great presence of mind Miss Enderby took the remaining portion of the lamp which was burning, and at great personal risk threw it into the garden.

As the wall paper and some woodwork were burning they threw a quantity of water on it and thereby extinguished the flames.

A canary in a cage which was hanging to the ceiling was suffocated, but fortunately no person was injured.

Source: Skegness Herald 7th October 1892

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s