This painting depicts the rescue of the crew of ten of the Brig, Hermione,” of London (Master, J. Craister) on August 31st, 1833, by the Skegness Lifeboat.
Through the kindness of Mr. A. Sharman, of the ” Red Lion Hotel,” Wainfleet, this oil painting has been placed in the boat-house of the Skegness Life Boat.
This rescue was performed by the first lifeboat to be stationed at the resort.
After the rescue, the Rev. Wing, of Wisbech, held a small thanksgiving service on the beach in gratitude for the saving of these ten men.
The original boat-house with a wooded watch tower was in Lifeboat Avenue.
Source: Skegness News 1945
Note: Although the article states the original boat-house was in Lifeboat Avenue, there was a previous station at Gibraltar Point.