Bully beef nearly 100 years old, but “quite good and sweet”, has been sampled at the Hull Museum.
Mr T Sheppard, of the Museum, states that amongst the Arctic and Antarctic relics there are two tins, each about six inches in diameter, picked up among other relics and store left by Captain Parry on Fury Beach in 1825.
“They were found by Captain (afterwards Sir John) Ross”, he tells the Editor of ‘Nature’, “who brought them away with him. Captain Ross was picked up at sea in a boat by Captain Humphreys of the Isabella, a whaler of Hull, in 1833, and these relics, amongst othere, were in the boat with him”.
Source: Skegness Mablethorpe and Alford News 25th January 1922