THE alterations and refurbishments to the Shades Hotel on Lumley Road Skegness are on schedule to be completed by the middle of May.
By the opening date of May 23 the premises should have been extended into the old Samuels shop, and opened up at the rear to include a biergarten, housed under a central perspex dome, where food snacks be served.
Geared towards catering for a larger slice of the holiday trade in addition to the local custom, the interior will be more “sumptuous” than before, and Shipstone’s Brewery say that the Edwardian period in Skegness will the general theme of the pub.
Local man Chick Fowler of Roman Bank, Skegness will certainly be interested to see the “new look” Shades as he can remember the pub in the 1920’s when he was a young boy.
In 1913 the tenancy had passed from G. Severn to Mr Fowler’s aunt and uncle Harry and Sarah Selby.
It was during their time that the last big refurbishment took place — that was in 1935 when the roof was jacked up and reconstructed to accommodate an upstairs lounge.
Chick Fowler recalls the early days when the beer was delivered in hogshead casks on horse-drawn carts, and a brief spell when Shipstons used the new innovation of coal-fired wagons. “It used to be a funny sort of pub,” said Mr Fowler “one part was like a council-workers’ canteen with the men eating bread and cheese sandwiches with their pints, while at the “top end” were well-known businessmen.”
Even the St Matthews Church Choir used to drop into the Shades after practice, added Mr Fowler.
Shipstones are appealing to local peope to donate photographs and memorabilia of “Early Skegness” to the Shades to be used as part of the interior decorations. Each item used will be credited with the name of the donor, and there will be a prize of a crate of wine awarded for the best donation.
Source: Skegness Standard 18th April 1986
Note: A particularly interesting snippet of information from this article is that the “roof was jacked up and reconstructed to accommodate an upstairs lounge”!
See also Raising the Roof at Central Hall