NOTTINGHAM POOR BOYS’ HOME
Permanent Building at Skegness Camp
For some years past the Committee of what was formerly known as the Nottingham Poor Boys’ Camp Society have been anxious to erect a permanent building to replace the wooden structures which superseded the original bell-tents and marquees on the “camp ground” at Skegness, and the achievement of their desire is seen in the photograph which we reproduce below. The building is practically completed, and is to be opened by the Marchioness of Titchfield on the 30th of the present month.
The frontage of the Home is to Roseberry Avenue (which connects Clifton-grove with Wilford-grove, off the Drummond-road, and, as will be seen, the building presents a neat and pleasing appearance. It has been built by Mr. William Greetham, of Skegness, to the design of Messrs. Bromley and Watkins, architects of Nottingham. The contract price was approximately £4,500, and furnishing, etc., will bring the cost to fully £5,000. The work of erection represented a commendable achievement on the part of the builder named, as construction was not commenced until November, and a good deal of time was lost through bad weather conditions.
The moving spirit in the scheme has been Mr. R. H. Swain, a well-known figure at Skegness, who, with Mrs. Swain, acts as honorary secretary to the joint Girls’ and Boys’ Convalescent Homes Society. Mr. Swain has devoted many years of his life to fulfilling one of the great motives of Christianity that of bringing a little joy into the drab lives of the slum children of Nottingham. To use a hackneyed expression, Mr. Swain has “worked like a Trojan” for the erection of this permanent Home, and to see the building opened free of debt would crown his happiness at seeing the Home in being. We understand that a matter of £1,500 is still required to enable it to be done.
Source: Skegness Standard 2nd May 1928
Photo: Wrates of Skegness