IT MOVED …
“Some potatoes were next to the coal scuttle, and I had just gone into the verandah to fetch some,”‘ added Mrs. Hall. “I bent down to get them and happened to look into the coal scuttle. It looked as if there was a coil of rope in it. When it moved, I couldn’t believe my eyes.
“I shut the door on it and went into the house. I wasn’t going to go back in there again if somebody paid me.”
The snake stayed in the verandah until Mrs. Hall’s husband, Herbert, came home from work. At Mrs. Hall’s suggestion he telephoned Skegness Natureland. Supervisor Mr. Alan Dales answered the call and went to the Halls’ home to fetch the snake.
He said later: “It’s certainly the biggest one I’ve ever seen, in Skegness or anywhere else. Grass snakes normally grow to be about two feet. This one must be a good foot longer than that.”
He added, as he held the squirming snake: “They aren’t poisonous, of course, but this one has got a bit of a bite. The worst thing’ about them” —holding it at arm’s length—”is that they secrete a fluid which stinks terribly.”
Mr. Dales didn’t take long to make up his mind about what to do with the snake. “I’m going to let it loose in the sandhills on the beach,” he said. “It’s harmless enough.”
Picture: The grass snake in the hands of Mr Alan Dales.
Source: Skegness Standard 24th April 1968
Note: AhHa! So THAT’s where the snake we saw last week in the Frog Pond came from!