The Dunes pub at Winthorpe Skegness on the Lincolnshire coast lies gutted after a fire started around 7am this morning (Sat 7th June 2007).
Dozens of firefighters were called in to tackle the major blaze which damaged the surrounding arcades.
Witnesses at the scence were saying that cleaners were in the pub when someone smelled smoke. The premises were evacuated and there are no reports of any injuries. One person said that they thought the fire may have started in the site of glass washing machine but this is unconfirmed.
The private residence next to the pub was evacuated and an elderly lady who lives around a 100yards from the pub was taken to Pilgrim Hospital with smoke inhalation but was later released.
Video Dunes Pub Fire
On Sunday fire crews returned to the scene of devastation to look for ‘hot spots’ where the fire had started and they have now confirmed that the blaze began by an electrical fault.
An entertainer who worked at the pub, Bobby Law, said “We don’t want people to think The Dunes had gone because it is well worth saving. It will come back – no matter what we have to do The Dunes will always be here.”
Were you at the scene of the fire? Tell us what you saw in the comments box below.